Thursday, March 02, 2006

Perfect is complete

I was reading

McNair's Blog

He mentioned L'Engel's comment on perfect meaning completion

Here's the first definition of perfect:
lacking nothing essential to the whole; complete of its nature or kind.

The authors of the NIV chose to use the word "perfect" several times. I took that and included the word "complete" in that spot in some verses. The shift in my thinking moved me to tears at times, read them if you'd like.

Matthew 19:21
Jesus answered, "If you want to be complete, go, sell your possessions and give
to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."

2 Corinthians 12:9
But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made complete in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.

2 Corinthians 13:11
Finally, brothers, good-bye. Aim for completion, listen to my appeal, be of one mind, live in peace. And the God of love and peace will be with you.

Philippians 3:12
Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made complete, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me.

Hebrews 10:14
because by one sacrifice he has made complete forever those who are being made holy.

Hebrews 12:2
Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and completer of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.

Romans 12:2
Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and complete will.

Matthew 5:48
Be complete, therefore, as your heavenly Father is complete.

1 Corinthians 13:10
... when completion comes, the incomplete disappears.

3 comments:

Erin said...

Thank you for this... so powerful. The Hebrews 10 verse struck me so hard.

Constance said...

You are blessing me mightily Keith. 'Completion' is a word which does not have the twenty-first century baggage of 'perfection.' What a wonderful release!!!

Constance said...

You are blessing me mightily Keith. 'Completion' is a word which does not have the twenty-first century baggage of 'perfection.' What a wonderful release!!!